SOLSC-27/31

After watching Clara, as seen above, strut in front of me in pure fascination of the large, shiny, black object I held in my hands, I can’t help but snap as many pictures of her as I can. I have to say, over the last four years, she’s developed quite the dramatic flair, and well I may not like it, I am most likely the reason for it. She however, takes sass to new heights. Even as a chick, she would walk right past your hand, even going as far as to brush past it, and just to waddle away as quickly as her tiny body would allow. Now, in this case especially, I sat on the ground so I was somewhat even with them, but I still was on a slight hill, she makes a point to walk in front of me and pose, and take her time watching me to ensure that I do take her picture. She ruffles her feathers and walks away from me. Oh well I think and look around to find another chicken.

And soon enough, I do find another bird. This time, it happens to be Zoey, my mysterious and dark colored chicken. When I took this picture, she had just come out of hiding. She was hiding in the lilac trees that had once been blooming and soon will be again. She comes out only to be resourceful and collect her findings quickly. Zoey has always been a loner of sorts, but she can fit in with any chicken younger or older. When she was a chick, she was the last to leave the warmth of the heat lamps, but the first to snuggle up to you and fall asleep in your arms.

Watching all of these birds that I have raised over the past eight years, I can’t help but feel a sense of pride over the fact that they made it this long and all may be separated into their own special groups, but all together as a flock, however small they may be.

2 thoughts on “SOLSC-27/31”

1. This is great, Maura! I love the descriptions and the pictures themselves. I think that you really hit on something though when you described your feeling of success and pride over raising these birds…it’s a long commitment and it seems like you’ve done a great job.

P.S. Clara sounds like quite a character!

P.P.S. Have you ever read the picture book about the chickens who want to see the farm house? I’ll try to bring it one day this week – it’s just fun and funny! Our kids just picked it out recently for a bedtime read and this post made me think of it.

P.P.S. Sometimes I don’t get your “replies” to these comments, so you can always follow up with me in class and/or through email! 🙂

1. Thank you! I feel like I’ve already said this somewhere, but my parents had no idea that six birds would lead to all this. Oh trust me, she is! I feel like I have read the book or at least heard of it, but what’s the name of it?