Slice of Life-Take 2-10/31

As I sign along to Party in the U.S.A. alongside my friends, I can’t help but let out my inner child, which involves lots of dancing and belting out the entire song. It may have been released over eight years ago, but I know every single lyric, with a full set of dance moves to go alongside it.

At this point in the Dowling Dance, I was full of energy, and a throwback song is always willing to ignite that. Being surrounded by multiple people helped me look less psychotic. All of these said people were dancing, even if they claimed to “not know how to dance”.

Thinking back to only a few hours before, I had been desperately shoving in my earrings and putting my dress and jewelry on. I was trying to get ready as quickly and efficiently as possible, all without messing up the small Dutch braid secured to the left side of my head by three bobby pins. As I looked in the mirror, I stopped rushing for a few seconds. I realized that in fact my sister did do good work, and managed to take away most traces of sickness from my face.

I could feel the Mucinex taking effect at this point, and was not ashamed to admit it. I wasn’t sick enough to stay home, but just sick enough to have a pounding headache, a massive amount of sinus pressure, and delayed reflexes that would  allow me to hit in the face with nearly any moving object, if the situation were to present itself.

Coming back into the moment, I am incredibly thankful for thinking ahead and taking the cold medicine. While the dance caused lots of drama as per usual, I was glad to be able to end it with a different group of people than what I had expected, but perhaps the best one of all.

Things have an interesting way of working out. While things rarely go as planned, some times things that are unscheduled seem to fit better than those who had always had a spot cleared for them.

If this was a sign of what was to come in my life-even just temporarily, I was excited. I was looking forward to the new memories, friends, and perhaps something even greater.